Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Extravagant Love

From Casting Crowns

Your love is extravagant
Your friendship, it is intimate...

Spread wide in the arms of Christ
there's a love that covers sin
No greater love have I ever known;
You considered me a friend
Capture my heart again.

I think of Abraham and Isaac. Binding Isaac on the altar as he looks in his eyes, wondering how his daddy can choose to blatantly kill him.

I have experienced great love before, certainly my diamond ring and other big gifts, my skis and bike, my college education and car, were huge demonstrations of love that cost someone something. Never have I been loved like I am loved by Christ, though, extravagantly.

When Jesus chose to leave heaven, he gave absolutely everything! Father God left his only child in his darkest hour. Watched him go through unimaginable hurt for me. Jesus forgave me while I was still hurting him. THAT is extravagant. All I have to give back is adoration.

No comments:

Post a Comment